Airman and his wife murdered, found dead in their burning car

Kelly Jose and his wife Heather King-Jose (Facebook)

A U.S. Air Force Reserves tech. sergeant, who worked as a civilian employee for the 2nd Logistics Readiness Squadron at Barksdale Air Force base was found dead with his wife on Thursday.

According to police in Shreveport, Jose and his wife, Heather, succumbed to injuries sustained after their car was set on fire at a local residence.

Police arrested Dwayne Willy Watkins for the murder after a six-hour standoff and chase. According to KTBS, Watkins has a long criminal record.

  • 2004: Drug Possession
  • 2005 – 2015: Burglary, Probation violations, Criminal Damage To Property, Misdemeanor Domestic Abuse, and Resisting An Officer
  • 2016: Indecent Behavior With A Juvenile

43-year-old Tech. Sgt. Jose joined the USAF in 1998 as a materials management specialist and joined the Reserves in April of 2007. He was assigned to the 307th Logistics Readiness Squadron in the Reserves.

“Technical Sgt. Jose was a long time member of the 307th Logistics Readiness Squadron and a respected and beloved member of the 307th Bomb Wing”, said 307th Bomb Wing commander Colonel Robert W. VanHoy II. “His defining contribution to our mission, our people and the surrounding communities will long stand. As a Reserve Citizen Airman, Technical Sgt. Jose will always be remembered as a great wingman…always leading and inspiring his fellow man.”

Col. Michael Miller, 2nd Bomb Wing commander, whom Jose worked for as a civilian employee at Barksdale, said, “We are deeply saddened by the incredibly tragic loss of our civilian and reservist and his wife. Our hearts grieve with their family, co-workers and friends in this difficult time.”

“Col. Van Hoy and I are in contact with local leaders to address Barksdale Airmen safety in the community.”

Abbi Jose, the daughter of Kelly Jose and Heather King-Jose, said, “thank you for being some of my biggest supporters and always pushing me to be my best,” in a Facebook post on Saturday.

“I don’t know how I’m going to get through this but I know you are both with God happier than ever down here. I know all of your worries will be gone and you will be with other loved ones. I love you both more than anything.”

Watkins is being held on a $1 million bond and is expected to make his first court appearance on Tuesday.

© 2018 Bright Mountain Media, Inc.

All rights reserved. The content of this webpage may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written consent of Bright Mountain Media, Inc. which may be contacted at, ticker BMTM.